Hamilton has its roots firmly in the U.S.A. where it was established in 1892. Lancaster, Pennsylvania was the site of the original Hamilton factory and the company was based there for the first 111 years of its life.
Hamilton first made its name during the early days of the American railroads. As the country built its crucial infrastructure, Hamilton began supplying accurate watches that were credited with helping to prevent and reduce accidents by synchronizing timing on the rails.
Innovation has been one of the biggest keys to Hamilton’s success with major developments appearing in the mid 20th century that changed the world of watchmaking forever. In 1957, the Ventura became the world’s first electrical watch powered by a battery and Pulsar, the world’s first LED digital watch, followed in 1970. Since 2011, Hamilton has produced together with ETA its own movements, that allow for extended power reserves of up to 80 hours to be incorporated into certain calibers.